Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sign of the Times

I have thought it all to often, as I am sure countless other parents and 'grown-ups' have: children are not having a real childhood anymore. Granted, anyone could argue that childhood experiences will adapt to the times and change accordingly, but what has happened to kids today is more than that. The New York Times had an article that discusses the problem.
I have to admit that I am guilty of buying my son electronic devices that keep him away from really experiencing the world around him, but now I am stuck in a quandary: how do you connect with the natural world in a place like Kuwait? Oh, I know there is the sea, beach, and the desert, but it is not exactly accessible to me right now, given that I am not driving here yet, and I cannot walk to any of those places. Do I just wait for summer respite? And again, I am back to the same question...why doesn't Kuwait invest in ANYTHING other than MALLS????? Can't we offer anything to our children other than just growing up to be consumers or citizens of another country?

5 comments:

Intlxpatr said...

The Science Center. Mubarakiyya Market. If you have a friend with a farm- GO!

Have you found any social groups?

Stinni said...

If you live in my neighborhood, then you can certainly walk to the beach. :)

Anyway, these are some things I do with my children:

Shell collecting at the beach.

Plant with me in the garden.

Take walks in our neighborhood.

I just make an effort wherever we are; even in the grocery store, I always have them smell the herbs like basil, rosemary (the potted ones from Holland).

Bike riding. (Yes, you can ride bikes in Kuwait. Even if it's just around the tiled yard, you can.)

I always point out interesting flowers or trees. The other day we saw someone planted frangipani (sp?) along their walkway.

It's the little things. :)

error said...

get him a bike

Carly said...

Hey Intlxpatr,
Thanks, I guess a bigger problem fo me is transportation. I want to be mobile, but we are waiting for some cash flow issues before we can buy another car! Haven't found any groups yet. :(
Stinni, I will try to see if there is a straight shot somewhere to the beach. I know my son would love it.
I am waiting fo my mom to come visit so that we can start planting!
I read a book about the Frangipani tree. Hmmm. I can't wait to have greenery! Thanks for your advice.

Error, I will do so when he gets bigger, maybe then we will have some roads! :) Thanks

Mirror Polisher said...

Sorry i can't be much help here...got no kids :(...or maybe :)

I always wondered why there isn't an English library here!!!